Forum Discussion

bdavis
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Mar 18, 2010

JSESSIONID Cookie failover

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has some examples of a i-rule to persist on primary and secondary nodes for Weblogic v10. I seen some older posts on doing this but they where using jsession uri, We use JSESSION cookies.

Thanks,

36 Replies

• Aaron - have you seen anyone else using this? We're currently letting mod_weblogic (via apache) direct requests to the proper primary/secondary WL nodes. I'm considering getting rid of the apache boxes but would need to replicate the session replication logic.
  • Hi Chris,

I haven't tested this iRule with any customers--just here on DC and in a lab with simple tests. I'm not sure how you could use LTM to replicate Apache's session data. What do you have in mind?

Aaron
  • Posted By hoolio on 12/09/2010 08:21 AM

Hi Chris,

I haven't tested this iRule with any customers--just here on DC and in a lab with simple tests. I'm not sure how you could use LTM to replicate Apache's session data. What do you have in mind?

Aaron

Apache is basically just a reverse proxy in this case. Mod_weblogic runs on apache and because it can talk to the weblogic app instances, it can handle the primary/secondary application instance issue.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as the guy who started this topic but since his last post seemed to relate to him having issues, I was curious whether anything had happened since.

• I never heard back from the original poster, so I'm not sure what the problem was.

Okay, so it would be the WebLogic session data that would be mirrored independently of LTM and you'd use the iRule to replace the Apache module which routes based on the jsession primary and secondary ID. If you're able to set something up in your lab and see any issues, email me directly and we can look at it together.

Aaron
  • Yep...that's indeed what I'm trying to do. I'll let you know if I run into anything. Given F5s partnership with Oracle, I've been somewhat surprised not to see some sort of official plug-in/rule for this type of thing.
  • I added some additional logic and cleaned up the code. I added the updated version to the Codeshare. If anyone has a chance to test the updated version let me know your results.

https://devcentral.f5.com/wiki/iRules.Weblogic-JSessionID-Persistence-for-Session-Replication.ashx

Thanks! Aaron