Forum Discussion

BGammon_9480
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Apr 01, 2010

F5 Monitoring Agent Issues

I cannot get the Monitoring agent to run correctly

I am using SCOM 2007 R2, on Windows 2008, with a SQL 2008 server.

The install failed with similar issues

<04-01-2010 11:19:18> FatalError: The F5 Monitoring Service did not start within the timeout period.

<04-01-2010 11:19:18> FatalError: There was a problem attempting to make calls into the F5 Monitoring Service. Check the Windows Event Log and trace logs for the reason and try starting the service again manually.

F5Networks.F5Exception: Unable to connect to data source: The PerformanceDataSourceConnector connection to Operations Manager Health Service host HPVCPSCOM01 could not be established: Failed to connect to an IPC Port: The system cannot find the file specified.

: HPVCPSCOM01 ---> F5Networks.ManagementPack.DataAccess.ManagedConnections.ConnectionFailedException: The PerformanceDataSourceConnector connection to Operations Manager Health Service host HPVCPSCOM01 could not be established: Failed to connect to an IPC Port: The system cannot find the file specified.

More info, I get errors in the F5 Management Event Log about - Requested registry access is not allowed.

All the accounts have the admin access they need. The database is created in SQL, the account the F5 agent is running under is an admin for SCOM, SQL and the machine.

Any ideas?

15 Replies

Stephen_Fisher_
    Historic F5 Account
    Hello,

I cannot see the attached screenshot. Can you email your screenshot and installation logs to ManagementPack@f5.com? Also if you can include your F5 Monitoring Event Log and Operations Manager Event Log entries during the time period when the issues occurred, we can investigate.

Thank you,

Stephen Fisher

F5 Networks
  • I just want to post, I finally have the service up and running. I had used an account for th management agent account in Ops Manager that didn't have some permissions it needs. That seemed to have corrected that. Now I am on to discovery of the devices..and having some issues there but I have some research to do first before I report any issues Thanks for the help
  • specifically which permissions were corrected? I am having the same problem and would like to know how you fixed it.

• Can you please post which permissions were changed to get this functional again? I am having the same issue.

Thank you in advance,

Joe
    Julian_Balog_34
    Historic F5 Account
    Hi Joe,

I would probably first look into the "Default Action Account" profile: SCOM Management Console >> Administration >> Run As Configuration >> Profiles >> Default Action Account >> Properties >> Run As Accounts and make sure the action account specified there has enough privileges. The "Local System Action Account" should probably be appropriate. If it's a different action account, you'll have to check the privileges in the Run As Configuration >> Accounts section.

Another relevant Run As Profile involved in reading / writing to data sources would probably be the "Operational Database Account". Make sure the underlying action account has enough privileges on the OperationsManager SQL database. By default, if no action account is specified for this profile, the SCOM SDK service account is used.

Julian

(F5 Management Pack Team)