Forum Discussion

dexter90_147975
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Mar 19, 2014

F5 loadbalancer and session timeout in ASP application

Hello,

I have a problem with F5 loadbalancer and session timeout in ASP application. We have F5 in out company for few days Since then, there is a problem with session timeout. ASP app has 30min timeout set but keeps logging of already after few minutes. This phenomenon didn't occur with Windows loadbalancer.

15 Replies

• I installed WireShark on the application server's. I observer below situation:

request1 (logging) -> AppServer1 (OK) request2 (search product) -> AppServer1 (OK) request3 (product details) -> AppServer1 (OK)

--------- Delay (more than 180sec)

request4 -> AppServer2 and logout.....

Why request is redirect on AppServer2??

• You're right, http is stateless and tcp is stateful.

You said the issues occur since you've changed from a Microsoft product to a F5, so I would search here for the differences. It's not new to me that Microsoft has it's own interpretation of RFCs.

If the problem is reproducible, I would recommend a Wireshark trace on the app server and client and compare them. Maybe you need to do further investigation on the "middle-ware" (like the F5 or Firewall) if the traces don't corelate.

• HTTP is stateless protocol in application layer. Is problem in idle Time TCP? I'm not sure.

Automatic logout occurs in different time interval < session timeout ASP app.

How I can verify this problem on the app server? Maybe Wireshark?

• Hi dexter,

I guess the default Idle timeout on your F5 is 300 seconds for TCP connections. If you want to set a higher value for this, have a look in your tcp profile.

Hope this helps, Manuel