Forum Discussion

GavinW_29074
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Jan 16, 2012

Catch specific SSL errors/failures???

Hi there

One of the requirements that I've been given is to try and catch certain SSL errors and return a more friendly error page, rather than the browser default...

A couple of the examples that have come up so far are:

* A User attempting to connect to a VIP that is enforcing client SSL certficiates but doesn't have a valid Client SSL certificate installed...

* A user attempting to connect to a VIP with an expired Client SSL certificate

* A user connecting with a very old SSL Version or Cipher...

Now the last one is nice and easy as there's plenty of reference code on the Wiki...

However I'm struggling with 1 & 2 above...

Any pointers or ideas???

Cheers

Gav

• Damm... I've just spotted a gap in my rule...

We've also got certain sites that use SSL, but don't have a client certificate requirement... I've currently made no provision for this...

Is there a way of getting the 'peer-cert-mode' configured against the VIP SSL Profile???

Can then put a simple exception in for VIP's that have a 'peer-cert-mode' set to 'none' or where 'peer-cert-mode' isn't defined...

Cheers

Gavin
  • To request a client cert for specific URIs, you could:

set the client SSL cert mode to ignore

put the URIs you do or don't want to request a client cert for in a data group

in HTTP_REQUEST, check if the URI requires a client cert, set a variable to track that you've requested a client cert and then do:

Force renegotiation of the SSL connection with a cert requested
    set need_cert 1
    SSL::session invalidate
    SSL::authenticate always
    SSL::authenticate depth 9
    SSL::cert mode request
    SSL::renegotiate

On the subsequent CLIENTSSL_CLIENTCERT event, check if the client presented a valid cert. If so, allow the request. If not, send a response and block the request.

I'm not sure if it helps or over complicates things, but I tested a related iRule for selective client cert requesting. But it includes OCSP validation and was done pre-10.1.0 when the SSL::cert was cached for us for the duration of the SSL session. Anyhow, here it is:

http://devcentral.f5.com/wiki/iRules.client_cert_request_by_uri_with_ocsp_checking.ashx

If all of this looks too complicated, you could try separating the content which requires a client cert to another virtual server and then use the iRule you've already written.

Aaron

• Aaron

Thanks for the pointers... However it does appear to over complicate things...

However it did give me an idea for a solution... As we only need to change the ssl mode on a per vip basis, then we only need apply this rule to vips that need client cert verification... :-)

Cheers again

Gav